Saturday, November 26, 2016

Dear 2016,

So far, it's been a hell of a ride.  We had a nasty election year that sees some potentially good results, I've lost my thyroid, and gained a diagnosis of a chronic disorder I'm going to have to live with for the rest of my life, and done a hell of a lot of research on health disorders (Hashimotos, thyroid hormone levels, adrenal fatigue, and chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia). 

I've experimented with changing up my research paper/persuasive writing class, and found out that one of the four major styles of research citation has no information on how to actually do it, and another is dying out of usage.  I've found that teaching the research papers is a major pain in my ass.  Overall, in other words, two semesters of experimentation is an utter failure.

I've also found that calling roll is a good way to gauge student understanding, and make sure they're where they need to be in the terms of writing their papers.

We have lost a LOT of major acting and musical talent, this year. 

Thank you, 2016, for trying to make up for everything that's gone wrong, by removing an evil bastard from the land of the living.  I'm glad to hear of Fidel Castro's passing, even if it happened two or three months ago, and it's only just now coming out.  I don't care about the when, just the fact that he's finally dead. 

However.  That said.

I'm seriously not certain that it was worth the collateral damage. 

Sincerely,

HH

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like 2017 can only be an improvement! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to tempt God by saying "only be an improvement" let's just say 2017 will benefit from drastically lowered expectations.

      Delete
  2. For good or ill, we're also seeing the back of 25 years of the Clinton machine. Their last, thin hope is to get their spawn into the House, which I hope means she either loses in the primary or goes on to obscurity in that chamber's noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, at least, that much. I'm praying for an end to political dynasties. We are Americans. We do not need, nor should we want, a hereditary nobility.

      Delete
  3. 2016 was an ok year for us here. The election just about killed me, and I was all prepared for another 8 years of degeneration, but we were spared that. I am still recovering. Other than the election, not much good happened for us here on the mountain. We are hoping 2017 will be a lot better.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.