Sunday, February 23, 2014

heroes

I want my kids to grow up believing in them, no matter how "geeky" it is by "modern" sensibilities.  I want my son to aspire to be one, and I want my daughter to settle for nothing less.

We have a good start.  Odysseus likes to look for good fan-made videos of favorite songs, like this one:


The pixie loves it.  And recently, she found our copy of the DVD The Avengers.  She noticed that they were the same as from the video, and desperately wants to watch the move.

Way too violent.  Way, way too violent, as of yet.  We're going to look for the Avengers cartoon, which, granted, may be a little violent for their ages (five years, and three years).

But they're starting to crave things with clear-cut good guys and bad guys, instead of the mushy pablum spoon fed to small children, where even the bad guys are sad and misunderstood, instead of outright bad.

They want heroes.  They need heroes.   

Cartoons are a good place to start.   

4 comments:

  1. Try reading them "The Hobbit". They're about the right age and it's a great bedtime story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I try reading to them, they start fighting over me. Since the imp nearly comes up to my collarbones, now, that's not...insignificant.

      I suppose I should keep trying, though.

      Delete
  2. Your children have a sense of good and evil. You'd be surprised (or perhaps not) at how many kids don't. When I taught fifth some of mine did appalling things, like knocking out the old lady in the trailer next door by throwing a rock into her head, and they absolutely did not understand when I was disgusted. Neither did their parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the things I was concerned about being able to teach them. My sense of good and evil is almost completely intellectual: I don't get it on a gut level, mostly because of a bad childhood. I know that they exist, but I have a hard time distinguishing acts.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.