Thursday, April 27, 2017

We has a new house.

And I has a tired.

We did the final walk-through yesterday, and then closed on the house.  Yes, that means we have the keys to a larger 3/2 house (one bathroom has only a shower; the other, only a tub) with 6 acres.  House faces north; neighbors on the east are good, redneck type neighbors.  Older folks.  Haven't met the other neighbors, yet.

After the closing, we got the electricity turned on.  Without power, there is no water since it's on a well.  I think the septic tank should be okay, since the house has only been vacant about a year. 

We have an appointment to meet some flooring contractors tomorrow afternoon at the new place, so that they can plot out carpeting and laminate flooring, and give us a figure on how much it's going to cost.  Because the current flooring has been there from at least '73, and maybe from '70. 

Yep, the carpets are older than I am by at least six years. 

I've also got a lot of calls to make--I can't clean the place because one of the things I'm allergic to is mold, and it's been shut up since the previous owner passed away (was an estate sale).  And the grounds have been untended for about that long, too, and we don't have the equipment to clean it up yet. 

And day before yesterday?  I picked up the last paper.  So sometime in all of this, I have to grade papers. 

I must be some kind of idiot to set a due date, then forget about it and set closing the day after the due date. 

That's going to be my life for the next week: grading and dealing with new homeowner headaches.

(Before you ask, Odysseus is busting his ass moving stuff already.  Things that get moved get stacked in the garage until the new flooring's down.)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats??? :-) Welcome to the pain and pleasure of owning your own place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first place was a lot more move-in ready. We just put in a bathroom after a while. This place has two bathrooms, but needs flooring done before we move.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new place. Yeah, mold is bad juju, and it's best to let the experts knock that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's green on the cabinets, and mildew on a couple of spots on the drywall ceilings. Nothing really bad, not toxic to most (I'm just allergic to it), and we've sprayed it with mold kill spray that did the trick. Now, I've just got to wipe off the residue.

      Delete