Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Visionary.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded--here and there, now and then--are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty. This is known as “bad luck."
--Robert Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

The floor is open for discussion.  

6 comments:

  1. the slide has began

    My father related many stories to me of growing up -- absolutely -- dirt poor during the Depression. It'll be a hard row to hoe for almost everyone, real poverty is a stranger to most.

    later,
    -Moe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really going to suck for the people who need medicine to survive.

      Delete
  2. It looks like we're in for a run of "bad luck" in this country the way things are going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had occurred to me, yes. I'm doing my best to minimize the affects of said "bad luck" on my family.

      Delete
  3. People here have NO comprehension of absolute abject poverty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most don't, no. I've never been homeless, but I spent much of my early childhood hungry, through parental stupidity.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.